Book Review: The Hunger Games

02 January 2012
I had recently heard many people discussing Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" Trilogy, and I have to admit, when I first heard the plot, I wasn't very interested.  It wasn't until I went and saw Breaking Dawn (yes, I'm a Twilight junkie as well) and I saw the movie preview for "The Hunger Games" that I was really interested in reading it.  I found that I was very surprised with the series and couldn't put the books down!



These books are geared toward ages 12+ and grades 7 and above.  It is categorized in multiple genres, including Science Fiction, Dystopic Literature and Adventure.  The books center around Katniss Everdeen, who takes the place of her sister to be in her districts Hunger Games, of which there can only be one survivor. 

The book deals with some heavy themes, with the overall theme being the struggle for self preservation throughout the districts and often the decisions made by the main characters often are walking the line between right and wrong.   An overwhelming sense of Big Brother-esque control runs throughout the books as the characters are forced to take part in the Hunger Games, perform cheap labor and entertainment and as they are forced into compliance you can feel their pain and will root for them to overcome the capitol.


The books have won several awards, including Publishers Weekly's "Best Books of the Year" in 2008 and a The New York Times "Notable Children's Book of 2008".  It was the 2009 winner of the Golden Duck Award in the Young Adult Fiction Category. The Hunger Games was also a "2008 Cybil Winner" for fantasy and science-fiction books along with The Graveyard Book. It also one of School Library Journal's "Best Books 2008" and a "Booklist Editors' Choice" in 2008. In 2011, the book won the California Young Reader Medal.

All in all, the story is compelling, and the books are guaranteed to suck you in, no matter what age you are.  These books earns 5 out of 5 Hearts from me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...